There are many reasons we love being an entrepreneur. We can set our own schedule, work where we want to, choose who we work with, be our own boss, and make a direct impact.
Being an entrepreneur also poses many challenges and demands on our time and energy – we all know this. Challenges such as choosing the best idea for the market, financing the business, finding customers, the ups and downs of not having a steady paycheck, taking care of our well-being, and dealing with loneliness and self-doubt. The list goes on and on.
A question I hear from entrepreneurs is “how do I balance everything on my plate?” They want to know how to be in their purpose and make an impact and not burn themselves out.
The answer: BE A CONSCIOUS ENTREPRENEUR.
When you take conscious action in the world you are intentionally choosing your activities and not letting patterns and habits run your day.
Consciousness is a practice. That is, the moment-to-moment practices you put into play every day will make you a more effective entrepreneur, a more connected individual and a more impactful human being.
Conscious Entrepreneurs know:
- How to state their purpose easily
- Investing in their growth and development is an investment, not an expense
- Being present is the source of creativity, productivity, agility, and connection
- Relentless self-care is as much a priority as our business
- Feelings are meant to flow easily and there is wisdom in emotions to capture and fuel our intellect
- Exactly and specifically what their values are and how to show remarkable congruence between what they claim to stand for and how they lead
- EVERY moment and interaction is an opportunity to learn
- Leading with positive energy is necessary in the business world
- How to go beyond meditation and actually “presence” what is here, be in the moment exactly as it is with love and compassion
- How to commit to activities and a way of being that creates “win for all” solutions
- BEING moved by something bigger is for the good of all vs doing from ego
All of the above are practices. What’s important about practicing? Well, it takes great resolve to overcome conditioning so you must raise your self-awareness – this takes practice.
Yoga is a great example. When learning yoga, we practice. We learn new poses, and we continue to practice these poses systematically so that they become second nature. There are many, many yoga poses and styles and the ones we focus on regularly are the ones we start to master.
It’s exactly the same to be a conscious entrepreneur. The practices we put in place empower us to become conscious leaders, individuals who are lined up with reality. In aligning ourselves with reality, we optimize our chances for success.
And, like yoga, our practices are fluid, as is entrepreneurship. Certain situations or trends may call for the need to develop different practices. By using core consciousness practices we can bring forth what is needed in any situation, we are agile.
Consciousness is your solution, your path. It’s not enough to TALK about being conscious, we must BE CONSCIOUS – in every moment. You can differentiate yourself by becoming masterful at how you are showing up – consciously, so that you have the agility to be congruent with want the moment is calling for. Consciousness applies everywhere and certainly in startups where we are trying to make an impact in the world.
What are you practices and how can you take conscious action right now?